[midPoint] LDAP referrals in LDAP connector - plan to remove functionality

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Tue Feb 15 10:33:19 CET 2022

Dear community,

We are working on proper LDAP fail-over support in LDAP connector. This
work includes removal of some legacy code, including support for LDAP
referrals. There was some very rudimentary support for LDAP referrals
since the beginning of the connector development, mostly to honor the
ghosts of the past. As far as I can tell, the code may be interesting
only in case that read-only replicas were configured as LDAP servers,
which does not really makes much sense from midPoint perspective
(provisioning).

As the referral handling code would greatly complicate the connector,
and there is a danger of making the fail-over code difficult to test,
our plan is to remove LDAP referral support from the connector entirely.
However, if any of you have some valid use cases for LDAP referrals,
please let us know as soon as possible. We may still consider some
limited referral functionality to satisfy valid use-cases. However, if
nobody makes any objections, the referral functionality will be
completely removed in next release of LDAP connector (LDAP connector
3.4, planned as part of midPoint 4.5).