[midPoint] MidPoint documentation: from wiki to docs

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Wed Apr 21 15:37:45 CEST 2021

Dear midPoint community,

Some of you have probably noticed that Evolveum wiki redirected some
pages to docs.evolveum.com. This is a part of our effort to migrate
midPoint documentation from the wiki to its new home at
docs.evolveum.com. The migration have just reached its apex, therefore
it is about time to share our plans with the community.

Wiki served us well for years. It was very efficient tool, especially
when midPoint project was young. However, during the years, maintenance
of a wiki proved to be very challenging. While Wiki is a great tool for
keeping notes and unstructured documentation, it is leaves a lot be
desired when the times comes to introduce a structure and order to the
documentation. This was one of the causes (while not the only cause) of
midPoint documentation being somehow inconsistent and outdated. We have
seen that problem for years. And you were often reminding us about it as
well. However, we did not have the right tools to address the problem.

More than a year ago there were indications that Atlassian may change
its software delivery strategy. That was a final nudge for us to start
working on wiki replacement. Being a dedicated open source company, open
source tools were naturally our first choice. We had a good experience
with Jekyll static site generator. However, it was Asciidoc that was the
secret ingredient that turned Jekyll into a magic documentation engine.
That is the engine that powers our "docs" site: Jekyll, Asciidoctor and
a couple of other components. We will maintain midPoint documentation at
docs, using the Asciidoc format with some custom extensions.

Today, all the important content was migrated from wiki to docs.
Therefore please use https://docs.evolveum.com/ as a primary site to
look for midPoint documentation.

Although vast majority of midPoint documentation was written by Evolveum
team, there were always community contributions and corrections. We are
very grateful about these, and we do not want to forfeit the cooperation
on midPoint documentation. Even though the source code of
docs.evolveum.com site is not available at this time, we plan to open it
up soon. The entire site is versioned using git, and we plan to make the
git repository public. Contributions to the documentation will be
possible using the same method as source code contributions to midPoint.
However, we would like to ask you for a bit of patience for the time
being. We have to tight up some loose ends first before we open the
document sources to the community.

We hope that this change will make midPoint documentation much better in
the long run.

P.S. We would like to thank Atlassian for providing us their tools for
all that time. Confluence wiki was a great tool. Even though we have
finally outgrew Confluence, it really made a lot of difference at the
beginning of the project. Thank you, Atlassian!