[midPoint] using the AD SID to correlate

Tom Seeley midpoint at tomseeley.co.uk
Wed May 6 15:38:35 CEST 2020

Hi,

<for context, I'm building a PoC using our AD as a source of users
(instead of an HR system)>

When was going through the midpoint book (which is excellent btw), it
occurred to me that it would be more 'correct' to correlate AD
accounts with midpoint users via the AD sid.  Thus I extended the
schema to include a new property in midpoint and stored the accounts
AD SID in it.  This worked fine.

I was about to do the same thing with groups when it occurred to me
that this might not be so smart, that it might have only worked for
these users because they were created in AD and then imported to
midpoint (ie the SID existed at the point of import).  If I need to
reverse this in future (perhaps when we have a better HR system) would
this still work?  ie HR system imports into midpoint which then tries
to create an associated account in the AD, but the SID is generated by
the AD thus no correlation is possible?

Thanks,

Tom.