[midPoint] MidPoint support for Java platform versions

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Fri Sep 20 11:39:15 CEST 2019

Dear midPoint community,

Up until midPoint 4.0 we have supported only Java 8. MidPoint 4.0 is the
first version that supports both Java 8 and Java 11. The "Gutenberg"
family (4.0.x releases) is also the last release chain that will support
both Java versions. Java 8 support is currently deprecated in midPoint
4.0 and it will be removed in midPoint 4.1. Therefore all releases
beyond 4.1 will be Java 11 only.

This means that the "Gutenberg" chain (4.0.x) can still run on Java 8
and we hope that we will support Java 8 for the entire support lifetime
of Gutenberg. As this is an LTS chain, Java 8 may in fact be supported
for quite a long time. However, we may be forced to discontinue Java
support sooner than we currently plan. This may happen in case that Java
8 itself will "die" before the 4.0.x support lifetime ends. We would
like to support Java 8 as long as possible, but there may be external
factors that could make such support infeasible. For example if Java 8
security fixes will no longer be publicly available we could not
reproduce the JVM problems and therefore we could not fix them. Is such
case we would be forced to revoke Java 8 support even from the 4.0.x LTS
release chain. Let's hope that this won't happen. However, midPoint 4.0
"runs like heaven on JDK11", therefore all users of midPoint 4.0+ are
strongly recommended to upgrade to Java 11.

Java 11 will be the only option for MidPoint 4.1 and later. Those are
non-LTS feature releases. The basic idea for non-LTS releases is the
ability to move faster and quickly deliver new improvements and
features. Java 8 support would hold us back. Therefore we will support
Java 11 only.

The bottom line is that you should upgrade to Java 11 together with
upgrade to MidPoint 4.0. That is the recommended approach for all
midPoint deployments.