[midPoint] [External] Re: Ellucian Banner

Matthew Brookover mbrookov at mines.edu
Mon Jul 22 19:20:30 CEST 2019

Hi Keith, Radovan,  I led the Banner Integration working group that was part of the InCommon Campus Success Program.  We looked at various schemas that had been developed in house at several schools.  Every one of them met the needs of that school and all were different.  I believe there were several efforts to use the scripted SQL connector with the custom schemas.  We did work on a list of common attributes, but did not get too deep into details like application decision codes, employee classification codes, course enrollment, or any of the dozens of other attributes that Banner tracks for students, employees and guests.

We also looked at using Ethos.  I did a demo of Ethos feeding a user to midPoint at Global Summit 2018.  There is interest in developing a driver for Ethos.  Unfortunately,  only a couple of schools had a program to deploy Ethos so not much progress has been made.

I am working on deploying Grouper and midPoint with yet another schema from a Banner database and will be using the scripted SQL connector.  I would be working on an Ethos connector to midPoint, but the group that maintains Banner here at Mines has not deployed Ethos.  Right now my focus in on Grouper, in a few months I will turn my attention back to midPoint.

As far as I know, there is no single generic connector from Banner to midPoint and Grouper.  I do think that it is possible to develop one but that effort has not gotten much traction.

Is there interest in setting up a session on Zoom to discuss Banner, midPoint and Grouper?

I gather there is a similar discussion on one of the educause mailing lists.  Keith Hazelton at internet2 mentioned the discussion at the API/entity registry team meeting.  I will let Keith know about this thread.

Matt Brookover
Colorado School of Mines