[midPoint] Services - GUI Authorization

Pavol Mederly mederly at evolveum.com
Mon Feb 5 18:03:43 CET 2018

Hello Brad,

looking at the source code I would say that correct URIs for services are

  * ...#servicesAll
  * ...#services
  * ...#service

(analogous to #rolesAll, #roles, #role). But please try if it works as
expected.

As for the conceptual question about using services instead of roles: I
think it might be a good idea, even if I haven't heard of anyone doing
that before. :) Please have a look at this page:
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Roles%2C+Services+and+Orgs (I
think you maybe already did that.)

Technically, the main difference between RoleType, ServiceType, and
OrgType is that midPoint maintains a closure table for OrgType objects
in order to quickly answer queries like "is X a child of Y (potentially
via more intermediaries)?" Besides that, all of them can carry
inducements, authorizations, mappings, etc - as these are defined in
parent type called AbstractRoleType.

So, yes, maybe using services instead of roles might be a good idea.
Perhaps Radovan could comment on this as well after returning from TIIME
meeting.

Pavol Mederly
Software developer
evolveum.com