[midPoint] Example for Security Question Password Reset

Pavol Mederly mederly at evolveum.com
Mon Aug 6 15:14:08 CEST 2018

Hello Brad,

> Thanks for all who contribute such helpful information on this list.
> I've tried to answer when I know something, but most people's
> questions are more advanced than I am.  :-)
that's the right approach, thank you for it. Our (developers') resources
are really limited - for various reasons - so community members are the
ones who can really help here a lot.

The code handling security questions is a contributed one, and in
current midPoint version it seems to be not working quite well. Recently
I had to make some fixes to make it better working. They are on the
current master, please see
https://github.com/Evolveum/midpoint/commit/658e09cbd0ba906f6eb9f12e27f4ac64829c3df9.

So, when testing, please use the master, or at least the above commit.

Now the configuration. I suggest the following:

_*Default Security Policy*_

<securityPolicy
xmlns="http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/common/common-3"
                 xmlns:q="http://prism.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/query-3"

xmlns:c="http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/common/common-3"
                 xmlns:t="http://prism.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/types-3"

xmlns:org="http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/common/org-3"
xmlns:icfs="http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/connector/icf-1/resource-schema-3"
xmlns:ri="http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/resource/instance-3"
oid="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000120"
                 version="6">
    <name>Default Security Policy</name>
    <credentials>
       <password>
<lockoutMaxFailedAttempts>3</lockoutMaxFailedAttempts>
<lockoutFailedAttemptsDuration>PT3M</lockoutFailedAttemptsDuration>
<lockoutDuration>PT15M</lockoutDuration>
          <valuePolicyRef
xmlns:tns="http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/common/common-3"
oid="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000003"
                          relation="org:default"
type="tns:ValuePolicyType"><!-- Default Password Policy --></valuePolicyRef>
       </password>
       <securityQuestions>
          <questionNumber>2</questionNumber>
          <question id="2">
<identifier>http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/security/question-2#q001</identifier>
             <enabled>true</enabled>
             <questionText>How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if
woodchuck could chuck wood?</questionText>
          </question>
          <question id="3">
<identifier>http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/security/question-2#q002</identifier>
             <questionText>What is your mother's best friend's uncle's
grandaughter's dog's mother maiden name?</questionText>
          </question>
       </securityQuestions>
    </credentials>
*   <credentialsReset>**
**      <securityQuestionReset/>**
**   </credentialsReset>**
*</securityPolicy>

When you will test that, please make sure that the user has an e-mail
address filled-in in midPoint. And when resetting password, you have to
enter that e-mail address. It will *not* be used to send anything to it
(in this setting); it serves here just as an additional verification of
the identity.

> Another related question:  Is it possible to have both email reset and
> security question reset active at the same time and allow users to
> select which method to use?
As far as I know this is currently not possible.

Best regards,

Pavol Mederly
Software developer
evolveum.com