[midPoint] Example for Security Question Password Reset

Brad Firestone bhotrock at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 01:07:52 CEST 2018

Hi All,

Thanks for all who contribute such helpful information on this list.
I've tried to answer when I know something, but most people's questions
are more advanced than I am.  :-)

Forgive me for repeating.  Peter has asked a similar question in 2017
with no answers:
http://lists.evolveum.com/pipermail/midpoint/2017-April/003624.html

And I asked this question a month or so ago when using 3.6.1 but didn't
receive any answers.   I know this is a community resource and nothing
is guaranteed, but I thought I'd ask again.  I've tried working through
this again with version 3.7.2 and still can't figure out how to
configure the system for Security Question password reset.  Reset via
email is working fine but we plan to control our email accounts through
midPoint, so really need Security Questions to work.

I've tried looking through all the Wiki articles and Sample files and
haven't found a complete example that shows password reset via Security
Questions that I can get to work.  It's possible I'm just missing it,
but the more recent examples I've found which include information for
Security Questions still show the credentialsReset method as
passwordMailReset:

https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Reset+Password+Configuration
https://github.com/Evolveum/midpoint/blob/master/samples/evolveum/security-policy.xml
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Security+Policy+Configuration

<credentialsReset>
<mailReset>
<name>passwordMailReset</name>
<additionalAuthenticationName>confirmationLink</additionalAuthenticationName>
</mailReset>
</credentialsReset>

I have the Security Questions defined, and my Users can enter answers to
the questions.  But I can't find an example of how to activate password
reset via the questions instead of email.

I also tried applying the Security Policy Sample that was bundled.  This
policy only lists Security Questions and includes the following which
seems to be a different syntax compared to above:
<resetMethod>
<resetType>securityQuestions</resetType>
</resetMethod>

But when I activate this security policy and click on "Forgot Password"
on the login screen, I get a blank space with a Back button and a Reset
Password button.  Clicking on Reset Password gives an error of
"Unsupported password reset type".

Can anybody share or point me to an example of how to set this up?  I
know there are plans to rebuild the password reset system, but hopefully
I can get this working for now.

Another related question:  Is it possible to have both email reset and
security question reset active at the same time and allow users to
select which method to use?

Thank you!
Brad