[midPoint] OpenLDAP resource unavailable even though Test Connection comes back green

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Tue May 24 12:34:45 CEST 2016

Hi,

I have seen similar issue with TLS-enabled OpenLDAP. It looks like the
default setting for TLS ciphers in OpenLDAP and some Java versions do
not match. The problem is made worse by the notoriously bad error
reporting and diagnostics in JCE. And honestly Apache Directory API is
also not entirely perfect in this aspect. And that was also the reason
for false "green" light the last time when I have experienced a similar
behavior. Yet, according to your description this does not seem to be a
TLS problem.

Anyway, there is nice way how to troubleshoot the LDAP connector by
enabling the logging. I have just realized that it is not documented
anywhere, so I have documented it just now:
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/LDAP+Connector+Troubleshooting

Therefore please enable the connector logging. It will give you more
details. However I'm a bit afraid that the "operationsError:  (1)"
suggests an error on the server side. You may need to enable logging on
the OpenLDAP server to see what is the root cause. The OpenLDAP is
indeed a great directory server. But it is not easy to manage it or to
diagnose the issues. Sometimes you just have to guess. But let's see the
LDAP request and response. Maybe it will contain some hint.