[midPoint] Some questions to midPoint 3.3

Pavol Mederly mederly at evolveum.com
Mon Mar 21 17:46:05 CET 2016

Hello Philippe and Fabian,

here are some answers (or, more precisely, pointers to relevant
information) to your questions:

> - How can you adjust some attribute in a connector? We tried to rename
> some attribute names in the XML file but if we try to create a new
> user with the new attribute names the connector says the attribute is
> unknown?
I don't understand this question. What exactly you'd like to adjust?
Please be more specific what you'd like to achieve, and preferably give
us an example.

> - If you create a role, how can you give this role authorities? From
> the start on, there is for example just the role end user and super
> user with authorities.
What do you mean by "authorities"? From what you say I understand you'd
like to attach some authorizations to a role - i.e. saying like "holder
of this role can see all other users' details". Is it so? If yes, please
have a look at
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Authorization+Configuration.
It is a very elaborate and powerful mechanism, allowing to specify
authorizations in very, very flexible and detailed manner.

> - Is it possible to filter Users just through attributes? for example
> show every user with the name Thomas? Or is it just possible to filter
> users with organisations?
I'm not sure how it is in midPoint 3.3, but in 3.4-snapshot it is
possible to filter users by name, given name (e.g. Thomas), family name,
full name, additional name(s), administrative status, cost center. If
you need more, you can use e.g. Bulk actions
(https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Bulk+actions) to extract
users you need (but that's not very interactive). Or you can use
reports. Or export all users and write a custom script to filter what
you need.

> - Is there an option to prevent that users dont get authorities that
> they should never have? for example a customer user should never be
> able to get the role of a super user?
I'm not sure about this; maybe someone other on this list would respond.
For general prevention of unwanted authorizations and role assignments
midPoint provides:
- certifications
(https://evolveum.com/blog/access-certification-in-midpoint/)
- approvals (https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Workflows).

> - Is it possible to set attributes from a user through a role assignment?
Certainly. See e.g.
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Advanced+Hybrid+RBAC

> - How can you change the password policy in midpoint and synchronizise
> them with Active Directory and Exchange?
You specify password policy like this:
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Password+Policy
Not sure what you mean by synchronization of the policy with
AD/Exchange; if you want to have compatible policies in midPoint and
AD/Exchange (i.e. so that if a user's password is accepted by midPoint
it will be accepted by AD/Exchange and vice versa), you have to obtain
current password policy from AD/Exchange and manually create equivalent
policy in midPoint. (Or the way around, take a policy from midPoint and
create equivalent one in AD/Exchange.)

> - How can an employee request authorities? And how can his boss
> authorize this request?
Please see the wiki page on workflows mentioned above.
In 3.3, the request is done simply by trying to assign specific role to
himself/herself. After saving it, the workflow is started automatically
(if role approver or approver expression or approval schema is defined).
In 3.4 there will be a special tab for requesting roles (see 3.4-snapshot).

> - Is it possible to create a hierarchy? If yes, how?
A hierarchy of what? E.g. for organizations (that could be basically
anything from traditional organizations to projects to e.g. study
programmes or even individual lectures), it certainly is possible and
well supported. Please have a look around our wiki.

> - How can you generate reports? are there already basic templates for
> reports? and how can you export them in different formats like .xls
> .csv .pdf ?
Very simply. You just need to use "Reports" menu. Please try it; and
have a look at
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Report+Configuration.

> - How can we transfer a currently existing active directory structure
> as easily as possible in midpoint? We got an XML-data for example and
> want to implement this user in midpoint as well.
Please be more specific. Or, even better, please have a look at the
following:
- https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/OrgSync+Story+Test (this
one is not specific to AD but the general idea is the same)
-
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Active+Directory+Group+Synchronization+HOWTO
-
https://evolveum.com/blog/practical-organization-structure-in-active-directory/
...and then think again and try to formulate your question more precisely.

Hope this helps,
Pavol