[midPoint] REST authorization

Pavol Mederly mederly at evolveum.com
Tue Jan 12 21:41:39 CET 2016

Hello Cameron,

by default, the access to REST interface is not allowed (except for
users that have all authorizations, like holders of Superuser role).

As you correctly said, the authorization-rest-3 namespace is to be used;
namely, the following authorization action:

*http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/security/authorization-rest-3#all*

For example, this role gives access to the REST interface:

<role xmlns="http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/common/common-3">
    <name>rest-role</name>
    <activation>
<effectiveStatus>enabled</effectiveStatus>
    </activation>
    <displayName>REST role</displayName>
    <authorization id="1">
<action>http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/security/authorization-rest-3#all</action>
    </authorization>
</role>

Please note that this enables to use REST interface as such. In order to
invoke any specific functionality (like reading or modifying a user
object) you have to provide authorization(s) for these actions as well.

Best regards,
Pavol