[midPoint] Workflow API access

Pavol Mederly mederly at evolveum.com
Wed Feb 24 09:17:10 CET 2016

Petr,

I think that majority of functionality is accessible. Just looking at
ModelRestService I see that what is missing is:
- workflow functionality (WorkflowService)
- bulk actions functionality (ScriptingService) - see *1
- certification functionality (AccessCertificationService) - see *2
- complex "executeChanges" method - see *3

Maybe others would correct me, but this is all I know of at this moment.

As you can see, these are quite marginal pieces... the majority of
midPoint functions can be invoked remotely via SOAP or REST.

Notes:
*1) This is fully accessible via SOAP, and, moreover, can be invoked
also via REST in asynchronous way (by creating a task)
*2) This is quite new feature (included as a prototype in 3.3); I
estimate we can put it into SOAP/REST API in 3.5 (sooner only if really
needed)
*3) This is part of SOAP API. On REST API it can be simulated by
invoking a set of modifyObject calls.

Back to workflows: they exist for quite a long time but I had a feeling
they are not used much. (Maybe because of the awkward current GUI, that
is being reworked for 3.4.) So I had very little motivation in providing
remote API for them. But we see increasing interest in workflows among
users of midPoint, so we pay appropriate attention to workflow-related
functionality now.

And final note: all of these methods can be implemented in - literally -
few days.

Best regards,
Pavol