[midPoint] Link user to another user

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Wed Aug 24 17:25:58 CEST 2016

Hi,

If you really want to do this then what you need is to create an
extension of user schema and define a custom object reference there. Or
simply reference the users by their identifiers using custom string
property.

However, specifying managers as user-user relation is a very problematic
approach. E.g. if you want to replace a manager you will need to change
a lot of user records. That may interfere with approvals and
notifications, it will most likely complicate authorization schemes and
pollute audit logs. Yes, this was a recommended way in some old IDM
systems. But I would consider this approach to be an anti-pattern. And a
particularly ugly one. That is the reason that this approach is not
implemented in midPoint out-of-the-box. There is much better way.

MidPoint has a very rich functionality regarding organizational
structure management. It is much better idea to use these features. The
you would place users into organizational units and specify managers for
those units. This is well supported in midPoint core and also in GUI.
Changes in managers are much easier to do. There are also methods
prepared to evaluate management chains in this case. And you can also
support cases such as several managers for single org unit and so on.