[midPoint] - Manual tasks notifications

Rodrigo Yanis ryanis at identicum.com
Fri Aug 19 23:22:20 CEST 2016

Pavol,

Thanks for your insight - yes, the case that you describe is one of the
cases that we're facing here, but not the only one. The other scenario that
we would like to represent is described by the following flow:

1. A user is provisioned by a set or roles X1,X2,X3,...,Xn that are
inherited as he gets a value in an attribute that has those roles linked
(calling that attribute, eg. Position)
2. Role Xn approver (that is, the owner of an external resource Xn) gets an
approval activity for that role to be provisioned in MP as well as a
notification indicating that this should be manually applied into resource
Xn.
3. Role Xn approver, approves such request, provisioning the user with role
Xn, as he also perform this task on his respective domain.

I understand the difficulty here comes in (1) as we cannot trigger an
approval workflow per each linked role to that particular Position.

So we came up with these alternatives - please let me know what's your
perspective on them;
By priority and "cleanliness" order,
a. To implement a MP resource which would perform on the Java API level,
prior having linked roles to entitlements, having this resource to listen
the events related to these entitlements and then execute an approval
workflow for granting that entitlement to that user.
b. Same as (a), but instead, it would be a resource working on the MP REST
level.
c. (Ugly) To exteriorize the Position data structure (all linked roles,
with their respective owners) + delegate the manual task notifications and
calls to initialize a workflow in MP to an external database, having a MP
DB resource listening to entitlement changes for event handling.

Let me know if there's something I'm not being clear about.

Very grateful for your assistance.

Thanks.

*Rodrigo Yanis.*
Identicum S.A.