[midPoint] openLDAP configuration for midPoint: failing on 'Setting up Overlays' step

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Mon Aug 15 10:16:09 CEST 2016

Hi Keith,

I'm not entirely sure. I have created the slapdconf utility as one of my
side projects mostly to speed up things that I'm doing with OpenLDAP
frequently. I'm sure that it does not cover all the cases, but it is a
very useful tool anyway. The OpenLDAP documentation for the OLC
(cn=config) configuration is ... well, let's just say it has a potential
for improvement. I have discovered the configuration objects that
slapdconf manipulates mostly by trial and error and by googling the
mailing lists.

The OpenLDAP instances that I use already have the
cn=module{0},cn=config entry. I currently use OpenLDAP 2.4.42 on Ubuntu,
but I have used wide variety of OpenLDAP versions during last couple of
years and all of them had the cn=module{0},cn=config entry. So naturally
I haven't ever wondered how to enable it.

Maybe the OpenLDAP mailing list is the right place where to ask this
question? Maybe http://www.openldap.org/lists/mm/listinfo/openldap-technical

Asking for better documentation on the OpenLDAP list may put more
pressure on OpenLDAP team to finally update the information on the
OLC-style configuration.

If you find out that there is a bug in slapdconf I will be happy to fix it.