[midPoint] [midpoint] Active/Active Configuration

Florin. Stingaciu fstingaciu at mirantis.com
Sun Aug 14 22:40:53 CEST 2016

Hello,

I'm trying to configure an active/active configuration, and experiencing
some issues with the Quartz scheduler. The SQL connection seems to timeout
quite often and result in many warning messages. I'm also experiencing some
errors -- as the timeout closes the connection, some processes are still
trying to commit using that stale handler.

Here are some relevant logs from both midPoint instances in this cluster:
http://pastebin.com/JFjqrLnT http://pastebin.com/1vy4iYPY

Also here's the relevant portion of my config.xml file:
http://pastebin.com/WbydcCC8

Following the suggestions in the warnings, I've started to look at
autoReconnect propriety of the JDBC connector and applied it to my configs
like so:

<jdbcUrl>jdbc:mysql://SERVER:3306/midpoint_dev?autoReconnect=true</jdbcUrl>

Since implementing this change, the errors and warnings seem to have
disappeared. I will continue to monitor the logs and ensure this actually
the case.

Reading the mysql docs, I found that this is not recommended as this may
cause data inconsistency issues and that stale connection exceptions should
be properly caught within the application. Namely:

The use of this feature is not recommended, because it has side effects
> related to session state and data consistency when applications don't
> handle SQLExceptions properly, and is only designed to be used when you are
> unable to configure your application to handle SQLExceptions resulting from
> dead and stale connections properly.

Do you have any recommended configuration for this scenario? I'd like to
move my current production environment in an active active configuration,
however as of right now I'm hesitant to do so in order to avoid any data
corruption. Especially since it's quite difficult to test for data
consistency issues that may arise from using autoReconnect in my dev
environment.

Thanks,
-F