[midPoint] Log Rotation for AD Connector

Ivan Noris ivan.noris at evolveum.com
Tue Aug 25 18:40:11 CEST 2015

Hi Jason,

we've tested some of the default .NET possibilities, but I'm sure it can
be made better.

I'm experimenting with this:

    <sharedListeners>
    <!-- Testing, 16.1.2015 -->
        <add name="myListener"
type="Microsoft.VisualBasic.Logging.FileLogTraceListener,
Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
        initializeData="FileLogWriter"
        location="Custom"
        logFileCreationSchedule="Daily"
        customLocation="logs/" baseFileName="*connectorserver-test*"
        MaxFileSize="9223372036854775807"
        traceOutputOptions="DateTime">
         <filter type="System.Diagnostics.EventTypeFilter"
          initializeData="Verbose"/>
          </add>
    </sharedListeners>

All files are stored in logs/ subdirectory (CS must have write
permission there) and named connectorserver-test-2015-MM-DD.log

A new file will be created each day on first log entry (i.e. if you
don't provision to AD for a couple of days, you will not have empty log
files for each day created). Also I don't like the log format...

The section is based on some googled articles, unfortunately I can't
find that bookmark right now. I just remember that there are other ways
of rotating which require some other components (some .NET libraries?)
to be installed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
IVan

On 08/25/2015 06:11 PM, Jason Everling wrote:
> What is the best way to get the system to rotate the logs on the
> Connector Server?
>
> I noticed in midpoint the task had shutdown from a communication error
> and could not figure out why until I saw the size of the log on the
> server running the connector server, it was over 1Gb causing the
> system to hang up.
>
> I stopped the service and then deleted the log file then restarted the
> service and resumed the task in midpoint and all is good now.
>
> In the future, how should this be handled? I have the
> system.diagnostics configured to the bare minimum so that logging will
> be reduced.
>
> --
> JASON
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
> This e-mail together with any attachments is proprietary and
> confidential; intended for only the recipient(s) named above and may
> contain information that is privileged. You should not retain, copy or
> use this e-mail or any attachments for any purpose, or disclose all or
> any part of the contents to any person. Any views or opinions
> expressed in this e-mail are those of the author and do not represent
> those of the Baptist School of Health Professions. If you have
> received this e-mail in error, or are not the named recipient(s), you
> are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or
> copying of this communication is prohibited by the sender and to do so
> might constitute a violation of the Electronic Communications Privacy
> Act, 18 U.S.C. section 2510-2521. Please immediately notify the sender
> and delete this e-mail and any attachments from your computer.

  Ing. Ivan Noris
  Senior Identity Management Engineer & IDM Architect
  evolveum.com                     evolveum.com/blog/