[midPoint] REST Authentication

ANTON OPPERMAN antono at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 12 15:09:53 CEST 2015

Thx Radovan,
  Thx for the reference to the SSO HowTo; sooner or later I will try enabling SSO. Would be nice, if in future,
  enabling SSO could be a configuration option.
  I agree that midpoint should not be an authentication server. For reference and as contribution, I'll describe
  the feature.
#-----------
  In a tightly regulated environment and as part of security best practise, clear case credentials should not be
  stored on a device or in application. The application may also be run from an environment where trust may
  be questionable. In this context, having an authentication mechanism for REST based calls that does not rely
  on passwords - such as mutual authentication with X509 certificates solves the issue of storing the password
  and enhance the overall trust between client and server (midPoint).
  I expect that proper CA issued certificates would be used, but there may be a case for self-signed certificates
  for some implementations or customer.
  Unfortunately I do not have the bandwidth to contribute code at this time.
Regards,
  Anton