[midPoint] New to midpoint, trying to figure out how things work

Ivan Noris ivan.noris at evolveum.com
Wed Jul 17 15:44:57 CEST 2013

Hi Salim,

I try to answer some of your questions inline.

On 07/17/2013 03:14 PM, Salim Boulkour wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I’m currently reviewing midpoint in a lab env for a possible future
> large deployment.
>
> Midpoint is pretty new for me and I’ve been in contact with Radoslav
> Albrecht so far. He helped me understand some of choices and concepts
> made for midpoint but I now try to play with the soft.
>
> This is where I’m sending this email, as I’m facing few issues.
>
> My test platform is midpoint 2.1, Ubuntu 12.04 64bits, Tomact6, java
> 1.7.0_21

Regarding samples: please be adwised, that samples in
svn.evolveum.com/midpoint/trunk/samples are for the trunk (i.e.
to-be-2.2) midPoint release, you may need to use 2.1-related samples
available at https://svn.evolveum.com/midpoint/tags/midpoint-2.1/samples/

(similar for 2.1.1 release)

Also, please be adwised that some of the cool features of 2.2 are not
available in 2.1 release. So you may perhaps also want to try the trunk
release available for example from
http://athena.evolveum.com/builds/midpoint-latest.war (for trunk use the
svn.evolveum.com/midpoint/trunk/samples).

> ·On the identity side, how do I create organizational units /
> organization structure ?
>
> I guess this is going to be done by importing some XML, but I couldn’t
> find related entry in the docs, or sample XML file that would help me
> doing so.

The organization structure may be imported for testing from
https://svn.evolveum.com/midpoint/tags/midpoint-2.1/samples/org/org-monkey-island-simple.xml

> Also, as an object of the data model, what can we do with an
> Organizational Unit despite create/modify/delete, and adding/removing
> users from it ? Can I use it to scope admin functions in midpoint ?

Not in 2.1 release yet, but these features will be implemented.

> Would I be able
>
> ·XML import failures
>
> I used XML samples from
> https://svn.evolveum.com/midpoint/trunk/samples/ to create an LDAP
> resource (OpenLDAP as a target ...) but I made a mistake somewhere in
> the file (maybe several ! hehe)
>
> Looking at the “idm.log” output, I get no ERROR message in regard to
> the import event (nor INFO message ...). Is there another place to
> look to understand what is the problem with my XML file ?

The result should contain the errors right after the import, in GUI. But
please use samples from 2.1 release as adwised above (there was a XML
schema change after 2.1 release so the trunk samples are a bit different).

> Still on the XML subject, are there other sample files (than the ones
> from the SVN) that would help me in creating resources and roles ?

All samples are available in our SVN, including role samples:
https://svn.evolveum.com/midpoint/tags/midpoint-2.1/samples/roles/

They mostly use OpenDJ (also from our samples).

If there are other questions, do not hesitate to contact us,we will try
to help you as fast as possible.

Good luck!

   Ing. Ivan Noris
   Consultant