[midPoint] MidPoint RESTful service and API's?

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Tue Apr 9 11:42:27 CEST 2013

Hello Nik,

The plan for REST is to add at least partial support for REST/XML
combination in 2.3 release which is planned for autumn this year. We are
actually prototyping it right now. The REST/JSON interface is planned
for later releases (no specific dates yet). The presence of
other-than-SOAP interfaces was considered early in the architectural
process so it should not be too difficult to implement. But the devil is
in the detail therefore we tend to be quite conservative in promising
any dates.

Yet, there may be an inherent limitation to REST interface with respect
to how WOA/ROA works. E.g. difficulty of executing several operations on
related resources in a transaction-like manner, batching operations and
so on. The Java API and also possibly SOAP (or similar RPC-based)
approaches will most likely be more powerful than REST can ever
practically be. And that's also one of the reasons why we have SOAP.
SOAP is far from being perfect, but honestly, when used well it is still
much more powerful than contemporary REST interfaces. Especially when it
comes to schema support, generating of compile-time code and so on. And
midPoint is schema-based from bottom to top. It took quite a lot of
effort to create a system in this way but it was well worth it. It
brings a lot of advantages. Some of that can be seen even now (e.g.
dynamic account form in GUI), but much more is yet to come. Therefore
until we find good equivalent for SOAP the existing SOAP interface is
here to stay and it will also be developed. And having said that we
really *are* looking for good SOAP alternatives but we are not finding any.

But I totally agree that REST interface has a better price/performance
ratio and it may be much more appropriate for simpler integration
scenarios. Therefore it is quite high on our priority list.