[midPoint] Midpoint Workflow Status

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Tue Apr 24 10:06:05 CEST 2012

Jason,

First of all thanks for your interest in midPoint.

Yes, it is true that we don't have integrated and productized workflow
in 1.10. There is an experimental implementation with Activiti BPM that
we have used as a prototype, but it is not productized yet. The reason
is that our costumers have indicated other features as a higher priority.

There will be a new midPoint version (2.0) in few weeks, but that will
also not include productized workflow. The goal of current iteration
(version 2.0) is really a better support for asynchronous processes, but
that's more or less only an internal structure (internal workflow hooks
and flags to indicate that the process is asynchronous). We estimate
that we won't be able to create a fully operational and polished
integrated workflow solution yet, mostly due to missing GUI support and
also very limited testing. We are following the usual "release early,
release often" open-source mantra, therefore functionality such as
workflows will be introduced to the system in steps, each step improving
on the previous one.

To make the long answer short: The systemic solution with integrated
Activiti BPM workflow is planned for version 2.1. The release is roughly
expected in September-October timeframe.

However, if there is a serious interest and you really need it we may
think how to make it possible for you to use Activiti BPM with midPoint
2.0 in some kind of "loose integration" mode. However, there may be
limitations: user experience may not be perfect in that case, process
failover may be limited, etc.