[midPoint] modify userview

Black, Carey Matthew blackcm at purdue.edu
Fri Jul 28 14:54:28 CEST 2023

Marie,

While I am sure it can be debated as a "preference", there are some people who find dynamic User Interfaces (UI's) that "hide functions" to be more difficult than a single standard UI that is uniform for all users. (Regardless of their access in that context of the display at the moment.)

However, I am also a user who has not yet seen the "perfect UI" too.( If anyone has see such a thing, I would love to see it too. )

Not to mention the additional complexity of the application development that arises out of such "cross cutting" logic. Which is to say that the more dynamic the UI is, the harder it is to maintain as you add additional features, functions and the permutations of interactions between those things and the users "level of access" really does get out of control really quickly.

The obvious exception is "user permissions" to data.
If a UI element is only for 'blob objects" and the user has no access to "blob objects" then hiding all "blob object UI elements" seems not only reasonable but "easy". ( Well until there are some interactions between "blob objects" and other objects in the UI.  See permutations of interactions comment above.)

There are always "local/odd" things that every application tries to do to make things "better". But that also leads to "application specific knowledge" that is a burden for the user and the tool. ( In my opinion. )

Frankly I would rather have all UI's be 100% accessible, to all users, and then conform to more "standard organization models" than to need to keep needing to figure out if the button I need is "at the top or bottom", "at the right or the left" or "only there some of the time".

But maybe it is just me....

--
Carey Matthew Black