[midPoint] MidPoint 3.8 feature freeze

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Wed Mar 28 17:34:41 CEST 2018

Dear midPoint community,

MidPoint development cycle is reaching feature freeze milestone. The
freeze is scheduled for tomorrow. This means that all features scheduled
for midPoint 3.8 should be implemented now. The next step is a testing
and bugfixing period followed by midPoint 3.8 release. MidPoint 3.8
release is planned for late April or early May.

This period is ideal for the community to help with testing fresh
midPoint code - that means code built from master branch:

https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/midPoint+Development+Snapshot

What is new in midPoint 3.8:

The focus of midPoint 3.8 was performance and scalability improvements.
MidPoint should be slightly faster now. But most importantly it should
smoothly scale to millions of identities and beyond. But there is a
price to pay. There was a significant change in the database schema. The
midPoint (XML) schema is still compatible, but the database schema is
not. Unfortunately, we are still working on upgrade and migration tools,
therefore all the testing that you have to do in the meantime need to
start from a fresh installation and re-importing all the configuration
and data. The migration tools should be ready in a couple of weeks.

There were also some improvements in the midPoint schema. The old
employeeType, roleType, orgType and serviceType properties were unified
to a common subType property. This is something that we wanted to do for
a long time and the change in database schema has finally gave us good
opportunity to do it. Old properties are still there and they still
work. But the new subType is a preferred method now. There are few more
properties that has been moved in the schema such as locality and
costCenter. They were moved up in the type hierarchy, making them more
generic. All those changes should be almost completely compatible with
previous midPoint versions.

On the functionality front there were improvements to user interface,
password policies, authorizations, provisioning and other areas. Perhaps
the best way how to follow those is to check out the issues in our Jira
and new and updated pages in wiki. I will also document those in the
release notes as we will get closer to the release.

As for the subscribers that have used their subscription to endorse new
features in midPoint 3.8: we are just conducting first round of testing
and bugfixing of those new features. Also the documentation is being
completed. We will let you know the details of your features in next
week or two.