[Midpoint-dev] Reporting Manager Concept in Midpoint.

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Thu May 18 11:33:25 CEST 2017

Hi,

Short answer is: no. It is not supported. And we have very little
motivation to support that. user->user relations to represent
organizations structure is just wrong. It is a nightmare to maintain, as
people change all the time. This idea is very problematic with many of
existing and planned governance features. They just won't work to their
full potential.

In our deployments we always try to convert this to proper
organizational structure tree. And in almost all cases it is possible.
E.g. you can have a look at this to see how to reconstruct
organizational structure from really minimal information:

https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/OrgSync+Story+Test

We also had success from combining information about user's
organizational unit and his manager to reconstruct full organizational
tree. If you are interested then the best way how to pursue this is to
become midpoint subscriber or use our professional services.

Having said that, supporting user-user relations is theoretically
possible. As far as I'm aware there is no major obstacle in midPoint
architecture to support that. However, we will not make any investment
into this because it is just wrong. We will implement it and support it
only if someone explicitly sponsors it. Using real organizational
structures is the right way to go.