[midPoint] Best way to generate "line manager"-organisation

Markus Calmius markus.calmius at proton.ch
Thu Nov 23 15:58:47 CET 2023

Hi,

so organisations are always interesting. There are usually more than one depending on how you look at things. Usually though, there is a pretty clear path from user -> manager and upwards to the top.

We get everything from HR in one csv file. It contains "all" information about a user, i.e. organisation/department, cost-center etc. including to whom the user reports.

What would be the best way to create the organisation structure in midPoint based on this information? That is, to be able to use the default "manager approval" process (like from the example here: https://docs.evolveum.com/midpoint/reference/support-4.8/cases/approval/examples/1-multi-stage-metarole-driven-approvals/)

I have a hard time wrapping my head around it. How to automatically create the org based on the csv data. If it was a database, I'd do a select distinct <column> for the relevant column.

We probably could get another csv file containing only the org-structure and managers, but it feels like it should be possible parsing the current one.

I know I'm not super detailed here, but it's more conceptually. Well... obviously, if you can point to some examples, that is great. But all examples I've found basically have a separate organisation file.

Kind regards,
Markus