[midPoint] MidPoint book source code are published on github

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Tue Nov 22 15:50:12 CET 2022

Dear community,

We have just published source code of midPoint book on github:

https://github.com/Evolveum/midpoint-book

Please note that unlike midPoint, the book is not open source.

Finished book is published under the terms of Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License (CC
BY-NC-ND). However, this license does not apply to book source code. No
explicit license is granted for book source code. The source code is
published mostly for reference. Public source code also makes it easier
to submit contributions that do not interfere with the copyright, such
as spelling corrections, minor wording improvements and formatting
fixes. Such contributions are welcome, assuming the author is not
claiming copyright on any part of the book. Other (more substantial)
contributions that interfere with the copyright might be acceptable.
However, in such case, please contact Evolveum to settle the legal issue
before making a contribution.

MidPoint is an open source software. The processes and implications of
open source source software development are quite clear and well
established. However, the methods of creating and maintaining products
associated with open source software are not that clear. Literature
describing open source products is often sold commercially, providing a
source of profit for the authors. We are not looking for a commercial
profit from the midPoint book. However, we are not yet sure how to
handle all the legal details and implications. Once we make the book
completely open, where is no way back. Therefore we have decided to
tread carefully and proceed in small steps.

In case you would like to translate the book to a different language,
please contact us. We approve and allow translations of the book.
However, we would like to make sure that the translated text is
available to midPoint users under the same terms as the original book,
therefore there is some paperwork to be done in such case.

In case you have an other idea what you would like to do with the book
sources, something that the copyright does not allow, please contact us.
We can surely agree on reasonable terms.