[midPoint] Blog: MidScale Survey Results

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Thu Mar 25 18:58:56 CET 2021

Dear midPoint community,

MidScale project <https://docs.evolveum.com/midpoint/midscale/> is
running full speed ahead. The goal of midScale is to significantly
improve midPoint scalability and performance. The project is about to
bring substantial changes in midPoint. As some of those changes will
affect community in numerous ways, we have gathered feedback from
midPoint community in a survey. The survey is completed and the results
are in.

First of all, we would like to thank to all the participants. The survey
was focused on engineering topics, often going deep down into the
technology. This probably influenced the number of responses, which was
slightly lower than we expected. However, that also means that each
response has a relatively stronger influence on a future of midPoint.

Overall, the results validate our plans with MidScale. Although only a
small portion of the community is reaching our intended scale, the
significant part of the community. Our decision to focus on PostgreSQL
was strongly supported by the community. We will keep the existing
repository implementation, at least for some time. However, our
direction to move towards PostgreSQL seems to be clear now. There were
some slightly unexpected results in the auditing area, which in
hindsight are not really unexpected at all. It looks like we will need
to focus on a longer-term storage of audit data than we have originally
anticipated. As for the platform, the Linux is a clear winner. There is
also a notable tendency to move towards cloud environments. New Java
versions does not seem to be any significant problem. Which is very good
news for us. And, most importantly, you seem to be quite happy with
midPoint! We are very pleased about that, we are happy that midPoint can
help you address practical identity management challenges.

Detailed summary of the results
<https://docs.evolveum.com/midpoint/projects/midscale/survey/> is
published on our documentation site
<https://docs.evolveum.com/midpoint/projects/midscale/survey/>,
including our commentary for every question:

https://evolveum.com/midscale-survey-results/
<https://evolveum.com/midscale-survey-results/>

There are some interesting points to check out.

Opinion of midPoint community is very important for us. We will listen.
The data will guide the future of midPoint development. Thank you once
again for participating in the survey.

(Reposted from Evolveum blog
<https://evolveum.com/midscale-survey-results/>)