[midPoint] Blog: Where Did “Evolveum” Come From?

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Thu Jun 24 18:52:34 CEST 2021

Dear midPoint community,

Naming things is hard. It is even harder to find good name for a
company, especially if a company is built to last. Such as Evolveum. So,
how did our company got its name? This is a story of the name, going
back a decade, to early 2011.

Ten years ago, we were in a situation when we had to make several
decisions. There were technology decisions. We had a bunch of code that
needed almost complete re-structuring around a new skeleton. We did
that, and in fact it was quite easy. We published the code and midPoint
project was born <https://evolveum.com/ten-years-of-midpoint/>. However,
there were organizational and business decisions to make. It is not
enough to publish the code. The code has to be maintained and developed.
That needs skills and time, provided by people that need to pay their
bills. We had to secure funding for our brand new project. That was
difficult part of the problem.

We were (and still are) based in Slovakia. Slovakia was not the nicest
place for open source projects in 2011. The pain of 2008 crisis was
still there, the money was tight. Even though Slovakia had been part of
European Union for several years, many things still had a distinct
post-communist taste. Corruption was everywhere. There was basically
zero chance for us to get European community funding or any other public
money without bribery, fraud or unbearable overhead. One thing was quite
clear: we were on our own. We had to provide the funding ourselves,
without any help.

We had been entertaining the idea of establishing an open source company
since early 2011. Many things are needed to establish a company, such as
money, plans, paperwork and such boring stuff. However, one thing is
needed even before all of that is settled: a name. Good, solid, elegant
name. However, when it comes to company names, things get even harder.
Company name must be quite unique, unique enough for us to be able to
register a |.com| domain. That was a major obstacle. Whatever name we
could think of, the corresponding domain was already taken. Of course,
we could use initial letters of our names to get something like
“KSRSIF”. That was not a way for us, as that would be quite ugly and
extremely boring. Or maybe we could make up a nonsense word such as
“Huxamaxa”. That could work. Yet, we wanted better name, a name that
would actually mean something. A name that would characterize us.

Then I’ve got an idea. We could automate the search for a name! I sat
down and wrote a short and very ugly Perl script. The script started
from a list of words that I though would characterize us. The script
tried to combine the words, applying prefixes and suffixes, trying
several mutations of the words, each time checking for domain name
availability. The result was quite a long list of names, most of which
ranged from strange to completely ridiculous. However, there were few
gems hidden in this heap.

I went through the output of the script, selecting reasonable
candidates. I came across “evolveum” entry. I thought: “Oh, this is
nice, it sounds like an chemical element of evolution”. Without much
further thoughts I have placed in on a shortlist, together with a dozen
of other reasonable names. Then we reviewed the shortlist with fellow
conspirators. There was no clear consensus at first, but after a couple
of iterations the name “Evolveum” emerged.

We went on and registered the domains. However, we were still miles away
from formally establishing a company. We had to think about money,
business plans, logo, website, business model, partner network and all
such things – and I still had my doubts whether this can work at all. Of
course, I was wrong, and the plan worked. But more on that later.

(Reposted from Evolveum blog
<https://evolveum.com/where-did-evolveum-come-from/>)