[midPoint] Blog: Establishing Evolveum

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Thu Jul 15 14:51:53 CEST 2021

Dear midPoint community,

We were starting up a new company in 2011. We had with very little money
and limited business experience. However, we had a good team, a vision
and a code. The experts would say that starting up a company based on
engineering, with no sales, no marketing and no rich investors equals a
suicide. Yet, a decade later, we are still here, more successful than
ever. We have built up a sustainable business based on open source.

Back in 2011, we had the code
<https://evolveum.com/ten-years-of-midpoint/> and we knew that we want
to develop it. However, three things are absolute requirement for
sustainable long-term professional software development: money, money
and money. That was /the/ problem. We had some savings, but that was not
enough to fund a long-term development effort. We we more than aware
/how “basic” our code is/ and how much work is needed to make this into
a product. We were looking at years or even decades of development
effort. The money we had in hands could hardly cover few months of
development works.

Of course, as every self-respecting start-uppers at the times, we were
considering venture capital. Slovakia was a business backwater at the
time, investors were few and far between (unless you wanted to invest in
organized crime, of course). Yet, we have managed to get in contact with
few venture capital investors. Turned out, they were more interested in
capital than venture, expecting unrealistic growth that we could not
provide.

We were on our own. Bootstrapping was the only realistic option, and
even that was much less realistic than we imagined. Fellow conspirators
Katka Stanovská and Igor Farinič prepared a business plan for a
bootstrapped company. The plan projected a break-even point in two
years. I didn’t like the plan. It was too optimistic, too risky, there
were bold assumptions and insufficient reserves. Nobody with their right
mind could follow that plan. Then, of course, we did.

I’m not sure what persuaded me to go for it. It was perhaps trust in
people in our team. Perhaps it was our best chance to develop a code, a
code that we would be forced to drop otherwise. Perhaps it was just a
momentary lapse of reason. I do not know for sure to this day. Yet,
looking back, I’m glad that we have made that foolish decision, a
decision that literally changed our lives in many unexpected ways.

In August 2011 we have formally established Evolveum. Of course, the
beginnings were much harder than we had planned. There was no break-even
point in two years. Instead, we have invested all our savings, borrowed
money, went pretty much all in. It was quite a ride. But that is another
story for another day.

The investments started to really pay back only after a decade. This was
not the most profitable way of investing money. However, Evolveum was
still a huge success, especially in ways that cannot be measured
financially. We have secured a sustainable funding for an open source
project. We have created intereting jobs, jobs that are desperately
needed for the future of our country. We have developed a software that
is a major enabler. It makes identity management deployment feasible for
many academic organizations. It makes government identity management
deployments much more transparent. It allows enterprises to use identity
management software in ways that were not possible before. MidPoint is a
game-changer for many organizations.

Starting Evolveum was a leap of faith. Evolveum grew from a crazy idea
to an established and financially-stable company. We did it all
ourselves, with a support from customers and midPoint community. We
could not wish for anything better.

(Reposted from Evolveum blog <https://evolveum.com/establishing-evolveum/>)