[midPoint] Blog: Happy New Year 2021

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Thu Jan 14 18:43:42 CET 2021

Dear midPoint community,

We wish you a Happy New Year 2021! We have big plans for this year,
including major midPoint improvements and next LTS midPoint release.

Last year was really challenging. Even though 2021 is not going to be
easy, there are high hopes. Of course, the pandemic and the economic
crisis affects everyone including us, but we are doing our best to carry
on and work hard. We definitely have some ambitious plans for this year.

Firstly, there is a midScale project
<https://docs.evolveum.com/midpoint/midscale/> aimed towards major
improvements in midPoint scalability. The project is still in an early
phase, yet we have some designs and results already. We plan to make
some bold changes in important midPoint components, therefore we will be
conducting a survey soon to gather community feedback. MidScale is
planned to deliver some results in midPoint 4.3, however the most
significant results are expected in midPoint 4.4.

Speaking of midPoint 4.4, it is planned to be next long-term support
(LTS) <https://docs.evolveum.com/midpoint/support/long-term-support/>
release. Obviously, there are expectations – and responsibilities. The
4.4 LTS release is supposed to be more stable and well tested. We are
already working on a new testing environment for midPoint. The 4.4 LTS
has to live at least until 2024.

Last year also brought some news, especially MidPoint Studio
<https://docs.evolveum.com/midpoint/studio/>. The Studio has proven to
be a very useful tool already, and we definitely plan to continue
working on it this year. We also plan documentation updates, mostly to
make the documentation easier to navigate, lowering the entry barrier.
MidPoint community is growing, and we want to support you as much as we can.

We are also looking further ahead, beyond midPoint 4.4 LTS. We are
working on a vision for midPoint 5, also preparing development projects
that should extend midPoint capabilities to new areas. This is likely to
take more concrete shape during this year. Therefore please stay tuned.
Hopefully, more news will come in next few months.

(Reposted from Evolveum blog <https://evolveum.com/happy-new-year-2021/>)