[midPoint] Attempt to add shadow without any attributes

Ethan Kromhout kromhout at unc.edu
Tue Sep 15 16:45:42 CEST 2020

I'm working with the experimental MS Graph connector to Azure AD. My
initial use case is just creating groups and updating memberships, so my
mappings are just an association for the AccountObjectClass and a more
complete set of mappings for the GroupObjectClass. The schema this
connector generates contain no mandatory attributes, e.g. nothing is
marked minOccurs="1".. Group creation is working just fine, but I'm
having  a problem with the membership management. If I go into a user
who is a member of an organization that should connect the user to the
Azure AD group, and preview a reconciliation change, it sees that it
should add the Azure AD group, but when I hit save on the user, the
change fails with this error:

2020-09-15 14:22:05,611 [MODEL] [pool-3-thread-16] WARN
(com.evolveum.midpoint.model.impl.lens.projector.ReconciliationProcessor):
Can't do reconciliation. Account context doesn't contain current version
of account.
2020-09-15 14:22:05,820 [MODEL] [pool-3-thread-16] ERROR
(com.evolveum.midpoint.provisioning.impl.ProvisioningServiceImpl):
Attempt to add shadow without any attributes: shadow:null(null)
com.evolveum.midpoint.util.exception.SchemaException: Attempt to add
shadow without any attributes: shadow:null(null)
     at
com.evolveum.midpoint.provisioning.impl.ShadowCache.addShadowAttempt(ShadowCache.java:508)

And indeed, no Account shadow is created for the Azure AD resource for
that user. If I import the the Account object for that user directly
from the Azure AD resource, then the shadow is created, and the
membership in Azure AD is updated. So I'm confused as to why saving a
user on reconciliation would fail with this error, but an import on the
resource succeeds.

Thanks for any experience or advise, I've attached the resource
definition in case that is of interest,

Ethan