[midPoint] OperationResult memory leaking, "No ScriptExpressionEvaluationContext for current thread found."

Forest Crowley fbc216 at lehigh.edu
Wed Mar 18 21:56:09 CET 2020

Hi List,

I've noticed since moving onto Midpoint 4.0.2 from 3.9 that my logs have
been filled with warnings such as this:

2020-03-18 14:23:38,491 [MODEL] [pool-3-thread-7] WARN
(com.evolveum.midpoint.model.common.expression.functions.CustomFunctions):
No ScriptExpressionEvaluationContext for current thread found. Using
initialization-time task and operation result: Task(id:1565719367356-0-1,
name:TestCaseReconcile, oid:27ea7035-a8db-42cd-b2a2-cb997b30e6f9)

At the same time I have also noticed that while large tasks are being
executed the heap slowly fills up and eventually Midpoint becomes
unresponsive. I took a heap dump and found a massive OperationResult object
retaining over 90% of my 14GB heap. Forcing garbage collection with
something like VisualVM doesn't seem to free the memory, even after the
task is done running.

My assumption is that the giant OperationResult is made up of whatever data
is being appended to it by the CustomFunctions executions. I've traced the
CustomFunctions class and the warning seems intermittent, in the same
thread sometimes for a given function it'll throw the warning, sometimes it
won't.

Does anyone know why my custom function calls are not able to get a
ScriptExpressionEvaluationContext? Any ideas on how I could troubleshoot
this further?

Thanks,

Forest

--