[midPoint] Blog: Quality TIIME 2020

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Wed Feb 26 15:06:27 CET 2020

Dear midPoint community,

TIIME 2020 <https://tiimeworkshop.eu/agenda/> is over. As always, it was
nice and pleasant unconference. But this year was quite special for us
as we have conducted the very first MidPoint user group meeting before
the main unconference.

Monday was a merry gathering of midPoint users that formed a
surprisingly cohesive group. Katka and me started the day with a couple
of talks <https://docs.evolveum.com/talks/> to set the mood. But the
whole group quickly moved toward informal discussions. We discussed many
topics such as configuration management, IDEs, deployment practices,
midPoint improvements and documentation. This was a great inspiration
for us and we will consider all the suggestions we have received. It
looks like the community enjoys to hear news from midPoint development
team, therefore we have decided to organize midPoint webinars. We will
start with “What’s new” webinars as a follow-up to midPoint releases. If
the webinars prove to be useful, we will consider extending that
activity even further.

The gathering was very friendly and there was a strong atmosphere of
cooperation. MidPoint is a practical real-world software, therefore it
is quite obvious that midPoint is not perfect. But there was hardly any
critique at all. Everybody was very positive, everybody wanted to
contribute to the discussion, everybody wanted to make midPoint better.
I am very grateful that midPoint has such cooperative and helpful
community. You motivate us to develop midPoint to the best of our
abilities. Thank you all!

Tuesday was dedicated to open source IAM software. I reported on the
plans for ConnId development that we have agreed on in the ConnId
community. Then there was quite an emotive discussion about SCIM. This
is hardly surprising, given all the issues regarding protocol
interoperability during last few years. Then there was a couple of other
discussions, but the last one was my personal favorite. Mike Schwartz
talked about business models related to open source. I added my two
cents by describing how our own business model evolved. The discussion
that followed was a real highlight of the entire event for me. It is
quite clear that /open source/ is not a business model itself. But there
can be a thriving business based on open source development. The very
existence of Evolveum is a proof of that.

The main TIIME unconference went on Wednesday and Thursday in its
typical friendly and honest style. I have to say I have became a real
fan of unconferences during all these years. We had a dinner at an
amazing museum of natural history in Vienna. And then it was time to go
home again. The event ended just a few days ago, but I’m already looking
forward to meet midPoint community again. See you again next year!

(Reposted from Evolveum blog <https://evolveum.com/quality-tiime-2020/>)