[midPoint] Blog: Introducing MidPrivacy Initiative

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Wed Apr 22 15:57:55 CEST 2020

Dear midPoint community,

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome midPrivacy
<https://docs.evolveum.com/midpoint/midprivacy/>, our data protection
initiative. Identity management and data protection go hand in hand, one
cannot really reach its full potential without the other. However, most
identity management systems were a bit short on the data protection
side. Therefore we have decided that it is the right time to do
something about it.

MidPoint is a second-generation identity management platform. Unlike
most IDM systems designed in 2000s, midPoint was designed with data
protection in mind. We know quite well that data protection is not just
the legal requirement, it is the right thing to do. We have been
experimenting with some data protection prototypes in 2017 during the
GDPR countdown, hoping that the industry will pick up data protection
features. It looks like we were a bit early with that. However, we think
that /now/ is the right time to roll it out.

Even tough we have been working on data protection for some time, we
have figured that it is the right time to give this initiative a name
and visibility. /MidPrivacy/ aims at turning midPoint into
/privacy-enhancing/ identity management platform. This is obviously a
long-term goal that has to be divided to smaller steps.

The first step of midPrivacy initiative is implementation of data
provenance
<https://docs.evolveum.com/midpoint/midprivacy/phases/01-data-provenance-prototype/>
features. Simply speaking, data provenance is about knowing the origin
of data. We need to know where the data came from and how they were
processed. This can give us indication whether the data were processed
in accord with the policies or whether we have no right to process the
data and they should be erased. Data provenance is essential for
accountability and transparency of data processing.

But data provenance is much deeper that that. It is also just a first
step, one of the foundation stones of other data protection features. We
plan to extend midPoint functionality in many ways. Data protection is
quite complex topic, but data protection concepts need to be presented
to ordinary users. Therefore good user experience is quite a challenge.
We would like to tackle data portability issues. Data protection system
needs to be secure and we have already made a lot of effort
<https://evolveum.com/midpoint-went-through-eu-fossa2-bug-bounty/> to
make midPoint secure. But when it comes to security there is always need
for improvements. We would also like to improve the documentation, make
recommendations, document best practice, provide examples. And of
course, there are really attractive pieces such as “holistic” consent
management.

There is much to do to make this dream a reality. And of course, it all
depends on funding. We will invest part of our profits to fund this
initiative. However, these are strange and difficult times. We have to
look for other opportunities for funding. We are extremely happy that we
were able to secure funding for the data provenance phase of midPrivacy
from the NGI_TRUST program. I would like to express my dearest thanks
for everyone involved in the NGI programs, this made a huge difference
for us. We hope to secure more funding for at least a couple additional
phases of midPrivacy initiative. But any kind of funding is more than
appreciated. We will be grateful for subscription money, sponsoring or
donations. We strongly believe that data protection and privacy are
worthy goals and we will do our best to achieve them.

This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020
research and innovation programme under the NGI_TRUST grant agreement no
825618.

(Reposted from Evolveum blog
<https://evolveum.com/introducing-midprivacy-initiative/>)