[midPoint] MidPoint Studio my thoughts :)

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Wed Oct 9 13:01:38 CEST 2019

Hi,

Thanks for bringing this topic up. It looks like this is getting some
interest lately. We have discussed that on recent EU-FOSSA hackathon as
well. Therefore I guess this is an good moment to share our plans with
the studio.

The original idea was to create midPoint plugin for Eclipse. Eclipse was
*the* IDE for development at that time, therefore the choice was quite
clear. We implemented a basic Eclipse plugin for midPoint. But
unfortunately, Eclipse proved to be quite a difficult platform to work
with. And even though Eclipse has improved in recent years, it still is
huge burden when it comes to stability and reliability. Our Eclipse
plugin is difficult to maintain and it might require a major rework to
move it any further. But what is worse is that we have doubts whether
were are going in the right direction.

Therefore we have looked elsewhere. There are NetBeans, which was my
favorite IDE in the past. But after years of neglect NetBeans IDE seems
to be more or less dead. Then there is IntelliJ IDEA. It is a good and
popular IDE among Java developers. Therefore one of our colleagues
started a prototyping work on IntelliJ plugin for midPoint. And it looks
like this may be the way to go. Also, the discussion on EU-FOSSA
hackaton indicated that switch to IntelliJ may be good move.

While IntelliJ IDEA is usually used in a form of a commercial product,
there is an open source project underneath:
https://github.com/JetBrains/intellij-community
Therefore it would be feasible to base MidPoint studio on IntelliJ
community platform. This is a crucial fact, as any non-open-source
platforms won't even be considered for this.

Which means that we will get much nicer and stable platform to build on.
Our prototyping seems to give a very promising outlook. However, there
are also some downsides. E.g. we will have to drop JasperReports IDE
plugin as there is no IntelliJ version of that plugin. However, it looks
like the future of Jasper integrated with midPoint is questionable
anyway, therefore this may not be such a big loss after all.

Those are still just thoughts and exploratory work. No hard decisions
were made so far. And I would like to ask for a community feedback on
those topics. If you have any thoughts, comments or ideas please let us
know.