[midPoint] Systems temporarily offline

Pavol Mederly mederly at evolveum.com
Sat May 18 23:22:00 CEST 2019

Hello Petr,

let me try to answer your question. I do not have much experience in
this area, but ... let me give the best I can.

_As for approach __*one*__("__set search timeout to 1ms in XML resource
definition")_

> is hashed password delta safe this way?
If you mean the deltas with password change, that are being sent to the
resource, I assume these are stored in "pending operations" with
password encrypted (not hashed). So they should be re-applied after
resource going online. But this would need to be tried.

_As for approach __*two*__("__set consistency/connectorErrorCriticality
to ignore for generic, network and configuration")_

> will the deltas be cached?
I have no idea. This needs to be experimented with.

_As for approach __*three*__("delete resource object (and upload again
afterward)")_

>   * will the deltas be cached?

Almost certainly not.

>   * how will the projections work?

They will not (AFAIK). The projector would simply loudly complain about
the situation and won't do almost nothing.

_As for approach __*four*__("resource assigned only via inducements")_

This is really interesting idea.

>   * will the errors be gone?

I am not sure. I assume midPoint would try to remove now-obsolete (from
its point of view) accounts from the users, and this would generate
errors in itself.

>   * where to put the flag to?

It depends on how you would like to manage it. You could use e.g. a
server file to signal this.

>   * how will assignemnts work in this enviroment? will shadows be
>     preserved?

Shadows will be probably deleted. Assignments will stay. After resource
is online, they would get synchronized. (Except for passwords, if you do
not store their values in user records.)

A colleague of mine suggested also an approach to create a fake resource
with the same schema. Then, of course, changes would get redirected to
it (so they would get lost, or needed to be manually synchronized).
After original resource is online, a reconciliation would synchronize
user objects with resource objects, except for passwords.

--

A second suggestion of him was to temporarily replace a connector with a
manual one. I have almost no experiences in this area, so cannot tell if

---

> I think this is good candidate for wanted.evolveum.com
> <https://wanted.evolveum.com>, if we can gather enough votes.
Probably so. I don't know much about this mechanism.

> On other side, I can't shatter the feeling that midPoint _should_have_
> this solved.
Definitely yes. But... there is a lot of things that midPoint "should
have" solved. All of us are intensively working on them. You know :)

Best regards and nice Sunday :-)

--
Pavol Mederly
Software developer