[midPoint] Using datasource with embedded Tomcat not possible?

Alcides Carlos de Moraes Neto alcides.neto at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 21:11:59 CET 2019

Hello list,

We're using mp 3.9 and we tried to centralize our database connections
using datasources, however, it seems to be impossible when running midPoint
in Springboot's embedded tomcat server.

It seems embedded Tomcat does not accept server.xml or context.xml files,
and does not create a JNDI context with default settings.
However, midPoint's DataSourceFactory and the DatabaseTableConnector only
look for dataSource from JNDI, and not Springboot's defined datasource
beans.

It seems that it's possible to declare JNDI context from embedded tomcat,
but only programatically.
I guess either midPoint's DataSourceFactory and DatabaseTableConnector need
to evolve to support Spring Datasource beans, or add code to enable the
embedded server JNDI context and load jndi datasource declarations from a
file.

Is there anything else I'm missing?