[midPoint] My engagement in midPoint development

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Mon Jun 17 14:50:50 CEST 2019

Dear midPoint community,

MidPoint project started eight years ago. The first code of midPoint
project was committed in May 2011. MidPoint team started small, but we
were working hard all the time. Now, eight years later, we have a very
unique product. MidPoint is an open source system for identity
management, governance, there are compliance and data protection
features and we have quite ambitious plans for the future. Evolveum is
still relatively small, but stable company. The business is going well
and 2018 was the best year in Evolveum history.

First of all I would like to thank you all. Even though majority of
midPoint code is developed by the Evolveum team, midPoint is a result of
cooperation of the entire midPoint community. MidPoint wouldn't be what
it is without you. Your code contributions, ideas, feedback,
translation, testing effort and all other kinds of contributions are
crucial for success of midPoint. Thank you!

We are all very happy how successful midPoint is. However, this success
is based on a hard and persistent work. This work is not always just
about the technology. There is a significant effort that Evolveum has to
invest in non-technological tasks, such as planning, work coordination,
communication with customers and even ordinary routine tasks of running
a business. Evolveum grows every year, both in terms of amount of
business and the number of employees.

Since the beginning of Evolveum I was in charge of midPoint development
in a role of software architect. I was enjoying that job immensely - and
I still am. I'm completely dedicated to software engineering. However,
as Evolveum founder and co-owner, I have to assume responsibilities for
the entire company, not just the development of midPoint. I will have to
dedicate much more time to leadership of the company. I'm quite sure
some of you have noticed that I'm less active in day-to-day midPoint
development. The reason for this is that my leadership-related tasks are
taking more and more time. Therefore I have to re-prioritize my work. I
will keep an oversight of midPoint architecture and development.
However, my time as a hands-on midPoint developer will be very limited.

I would like to use this opportunity to also announce some changes in
midPoint development team. Two members of the development team are
"promoted" to be in charge of midPoint architecture and development:
Katka Valalikova and Pavol Mederly. Both of them will take significant
part of my responsibilities. Katka will focus on the management and
organizational part of the development, while Pavol will focus on
software architecture of midPoint. But both of them are equal in their
responsibilities. Both of them are crucial part of the development team
from the early days. And I have no doubts that they will excel in their
new role in the development team. Also, we will be gradually expanding
the team with new developers to maintain our development capacity.

This is both an exciting and a little sad moment for me. It is exciting
because midPoint is great, Evolveum is successful and I see that my
closer involvement in company leadership is the right thing to do.
However, it is also a sad moment. I love software development. But a
very little time will remain for me to get my hands dirty. Nevertheless,
my choices are quite clear. I have to do what needs to be done. For the
best of us all.