[midPoint] MidPoint 4.x release schedule

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Tue Jul 2 19:05:19 CEST 2019

Dear midPoint community,

You have probably noticed that midPoint 4.0 is still waiting for its
release. Those of you that are involved in midPoint development and
testing are surely aware of the fact, that midPoint 4.0 development plan
is delayed. I feel that it is my duty to explain what is going on.

MidPoint 4.0 has been an ambitious challenge from the very beginning. It
has been (and still is) planned to be a long-term support (LTS) release.
Therefore we have spent a lot of effort on removing and reworking old
midPoint code. This makes perfect sense. MidPoint is now more than eight
years old, with some code even older than that. We plan to support 4.0
for at least three years, which means that at the end of 4.0 support we
will have to deal with a code that would be more than a decade old.
Hence a lot of refactoring, cleanup and re-engineering work in midPoint
4.0. In addition to this, there was a couple of big features and a lot
of smaller ones. We would like to make midPoint 4.0 a release that can
be solid to be used for many years to come.

Everything seemed to go well with 4.0 - until February. I still cannot
fully understand what has been happening since then. I can only describe
it as unbelievably bad luck. We got struck by the seasonal flu much
harder than any other year. There were travel problems, communication
difficulties, unforeseen events and so on. Of course, we had reserves in
the 4.0 development plan. But they were pretty much all gone in that one
single month. March was quite similar. And then it got even worse.

At that point couple of platform subscribers were experiencing some
performance issues. We haven't planned any major performance
improvements in 4.0. But platform subscribers are setting priorities of
midPoint development. Therefore we had to re-prioritize the work. What
we usually do at this point is to postpone some of the
originally-planned features to make space for those things that platform
subscribers need. But at that time most of the 4.0 features were almost
completed. And the refactoring effort was at a point, where it would be
a tremendous waste to postpone it to the next release. Then there was a
bug bounty program. It was a huge success, it was much better that I
have ever hoped for. But that also meant addition demand for development
resources. And as those are security issues, we had to deal with them
immediately. We have moved few things from 4.0 plan, but it was not
enough to keep the 4.0 release dates. I was announcing that to the
community, hoping that from that point we can get to the full speed and
finish 4.0.

But obviously, I was wrong. There was an injury. Then another injury,
followed by a severe illness. This caused more communication problems,
for which I have to personally apologize to all of you. Then more travel
problems and pile of similar smaller problems. Overall, this whole
situation is very difficult to understand and even more difficult to
explain. Especially that this all affects me in a very personal way.

I'm quite aware that those of you that are our customers and subscribers
do not need to accept our excuses. You have your contracts that need to
be fulfilled. And we are making everything that is in our powers to make
it happen. But as you are all aware, we are not a huge corporation.
Being still a relatively small company, such a bad luck can affect us in
a really significant way. The "bus factor" is often mentioned when
discussing such risks of small team. We were always aware of this risk
and we have been prepared: there was a sharing of knowledge in the team,
communication, documentation, development culture and so on. And it has
all worked. Several key persons in our team were pretty much "run over
by the bus" during the course of 4.0 development, but MidPoint
development went on. All the persons that could work harder re-doubled
their efforts. The Evolveum team is a real marvel. However, there is
still an impact. MidPoint development schedule is heavily affected.

We have been thinking and planning a lot, during last few weeks. We had
to re-plan everything. It makes no sense to estimate 4.0 release to be
"soon", when we know that it won't happen. Delay in midPoint 4.0 also
means disruption of release schedule for following releases. Therefore
we have discussed the plans internally. Then we have made sure that this
the new plans can work for our platform subscribers. And the result is this:

Release 4.0 is planned for late August 2019.
Release 4.1 is planned for early 2020 (January-March).
Release 4.2 is planned for October 2020 - which should bring releases
back to usual April-October schedule.

Original scope of 4.0 and 4.1 releases will be kept, as already
negotiated with platform subscribers. Just the release dates are
changed. I'm aware that this plan is not ideal. But it is the best that
we can do in our current situation.

This was all a huge lesson to us. I have realized how lucky we were with
midPoint and Evolveum up until that point in February. We want to make
sure that the problems we are dealing with will not happen again.
Therefore there are important changes that we are going to make. This
includes my closer engagement in company leadership and adjustments to
our business model. But first of all, we have to plan even more reserves
in our development plan. We have to be more careful in scheduling
releases. That is also the reason we will be skipping one release "slot"
to make room for a more robust release schedule. And of course, we are
hiring new talent to expand our team and we need to be more careful with
overall organization of work in the company.

I would like to apologize to anyone who is affected by those issues - to
midPoint subscribers, our partners and also to midPoint community at
large. We have always been very transparent about midPoint development,
and especially problems of midPoint development. MidPoint is really a
substantial piece of software, and there will always be some problems.
We do not want to hide any of that. We believe that full transparency is
the best way to keep your confidence in midPoint and in the Evolveum
team. Therefore I'm more than grateful for all your support to midPoint
project. And I hope that we can count on your support also for the
future. We will do everything we can to make midPoint better and stronger.