[midPoint] config.xml during installation

Ivan Noris ivan.noris at evolveum.com
Wed Oct 17 08:38:22 CEST 2018

Hi Eric,

just to explain as I have not much midPoint+docker experience (nor using
MySQL that often):

- when midPoint starts for the very first time and there is no
keystore.jceks, it will be created with a random key

- when midPoint starts, it will populate the repository with the initial
objects (such as administrator) if such objects don't already exist (it
will NOT overwrite). Any password (such as administrator) will be
encrypted using the keystore key that is set as default

- by default there is only one key entry in the keystore.jceks and the
key is referenced in the config.xml ("default)"

So the issue should be caused by the password in the database encrypted
by a different key. Or using different midpoint.home directory. I've had
similar error only when I installed midPoint correctly and then removed
the keystore...

Sorry but I don't have time to replicate the process via docker.

On 16. 10. 2018 22:28, Solberg, Eric wrote:

> Thanks Colin. It looks like the keystore that was created when the
> midpoint started has only one entry:
>
> Your keystore contains 1 entry
>
> default, Oct 16, 2018, SecretKeyEntry,
>

> So if I’m understanding correctly, I’m missing the administrator here.
> Perhaps the administrator account/password is only created
> automatically in demo mode? I imagine it’s a simple process to add it.
> The instructions in the config.xml show how to create a new keystore,
> but I’m not sure what it should be populated with, or how.
>

> I suspect I can copy the keystore from the demo system to get the
> admin password in here. I’ll try that next but if I’m going about it
> wrong let me know. Thanks again.
>

> Eric
>

> *From: *midPoint <midpoint-bounces at lists.evolveum.com> on behalf of
> Colin Thompson <cthompson31 at ucmerced.edu>
> *Date: *Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 12:54 PM
> *To: *midPoint General Discussion <midpoint at lists.evolveum.com>
> *Subject: *Re: [midPoint] config.xml during installation
>

> Sounds like a missing/incorrect keystore.jceks issue. I believe the
> administrator password, among other things, is stored encrypted in the
> database, and the key by which it is encrypted is stored in the
> keystore.jceks file in /opt/midpoint/var/.  Ive found that when the
> administrator password doesn't match (assuming you're typing it
> correctly), it's usually because you're not using the key/keystore it
> was created with.
>
> There are instructions in the default config.xml file for how to
> create the keystore if you want to customize things.

Ivan Noris
Senior Identity Engineer