[midPoint] Upgrades and version consistency

Ivan Noris ivan.noris at evolveum.com
Tue Jan 16 15:45:56 CET 2018

Hi Ethan,

from my experience, everytime I forgot to run upgrade scripts (read:
during experimenting with midpoint; did not happen in production),
midPoint refused to start and there will be an error in idm.log /
midpoint.log. So midPoint will not start.

I think it's connected to "validate" option in config.xml:

      <hibernateHbm2ddl>validate</hibernateHbm2ddl>
(for embedded H2 repository this can be set to "update" and it will
update the db structure).

On 16.01.2018 15:07, Kromhout, Ethan A. wrote:
> If someone were to fail to run database upgrade scripts, but did deploy and upgrade war file in the scenario described in upgrade "Type 1" at the wiki page https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Upgrade+HOWTO, either through carelessness or because of a technical problem. Would the application check the database version and refuse to start, or would the error be more subtle? Is there a way to query to check that the database scripts have been run and are on the correct version?
>
> This is just a rhetorical question to clarify what might happen in different upgrade scenarios as we'll be working with some campus's on upgrade procedures and wanted to document possible failure modes.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ethan

Ivan Noris
Senior Identity Engineer