[midPoint] Standing up midPoint with existing accounts

Andrew Morgan morgan at oregonstate.edu
Sat Aug 25 02:42:26 CEST 2018

I'm looking for advice on standing up midPoint with resources that already
have accounts present.  I have 1 resource with inbound mappings (a
database table) and 2 resources with outbound mappings (AD and LDAP).
There are approximately 80,000 accounts in AD and LDAP.

FIRST METHOD TRIED:

I attempted to import accounts from LDAP in order to link to existing
midPoint users and then assign the appropriate roles to match the existing
state of the LDAP account.

When I import an LDAP account, it is linked to the correct midPoint user.
However, midPoint strips off the extra objectclasses and attributes that
are defined in my roles (not in the LDAP resource).  I have tried setting
the assignmentPolicyEnforcement to "positive" or "none", but it still
happens.  No good.

SECOND METHOD TRIED:

Instead of importing accounts, I tried assigning the roles to the midPoint
users to induce the correct resources, objectclasses, and roles.  That
actually worked great, but I don't know how to get 80,000 shadows into
midPoint's repository without importing.  I can get 20 shadows created at
a time by browsing the Accounts in the LDAP resource, but I don't know how
to get all of them.  If midPoint doesn't have a shadow when I assign the
roles, it tries (and fails) to create a new account.  Then, it makes a
bunch of modifications to the existing account because it thinks it has
changes to process.  No good.

NEXT???:

Maybe I can define the LDAP resource with no outbound mappings, import all
the accounts in order to link them to users, assign the correct roles, and
then update the LDAP resource to have the outbound mappings...

Is there a wiki page that covers this?  I'm running out of ideas...  Help!

Thanks,

Andy Morgan
Systems Administrator, Identity & Access Management
Information Services | Oregon State University
541-737-8877 | is.oregonstate.edu