[midPoint] Issues, fixes and subscriptions (was: Re: Function "basic.norm()" works wrong)

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Mon Nov 27 13:36:15 CET 2017

Hi,

The problem is, that Ł cannot be divided as a composite character in
unicode. Therefore usual unicode-based normaliztion does not work. We
need to implement a special case for this, add tests, maintain it ...
and we currently do not have any active subscriber in Poland, so there
is no income that could be used to fund this work. This particular fix
is not difficult to do. But there are many pending fixes and
improvements that are not difficult to do. Even if the fix takes few
hours it is not a negligible work. A dozen issues, few hours each and a
week is gone. Few more days are taken for testing and maintenance,
communication, documentation, overhead and so on. It was not uncommon
that the small community issues caused delays in midPoint releases in
the past. MidPoint is now very comprehensive system and it has
considerable code base. MidPoint maintenance is not a trivial task. And
realistically, if we have some free developer time then it would be much
better idea to invest that time to improve midPoint UX. Everyone will
benefit from that, not just deployments in Poland.

We need to make sure our services provided to midPoint subscribers are
sustainable and that we can maintain the quality. We need to be
selective in what issues we fix as to keep the workload of the
development team reasonable. And the guideline is: if the issue is
reported by a subscriber or there is a significant probability that it
will affect subscribers then we will fix it. For all the other cases it
has to wait. Sometimes the wait means next 1-2 releases. But in some
cases (such as this one) you have to wait until there is another
subscriber that is affected. Which may be quite a long time. I'm sorry.
That's how the market works. We have to pay our bills.

But, midPoint is an open source software. Anyone can fix this and submit
a contribution. I'm quite sure there is a lot of Java developers in
Poland that can easily fix this.