[midPoint] JMS based workflow configuration

Pavol Mederly mederly at evolveum.com
Tue Mar 21 10:57:01 CET 2017

Hello,

actually, some years ago, when we started to implement midPoint at the
largest Slovak university, we came across the same situation. Systems at
that university exchanged identity information primarily by JMS. I've
even hacked a code into midPoint that used Apache Camel to listen on JMS
destinations and processed incoming messages.

But the solution was not well-thought, so I erased the code. We
eventually went by using SQL connector to read data synchronously from a
database table.

During all the time I came across similar requirements once more; for
another European customer. And now, thinking about it again, I think
this could be doable.

Technically, instead of using synchronize() method which fetches changes
from resource and feeds them to notifyChange() method, we would simply
pull changes from JMS queue/topic and feed them to notifyChange().

This is the live sync part. However, besides that, a reconciliation
would need to be implemented somehow. E.g. by fetching a big CSV file
and processing it using traditional approach.

Overall, the live sync part presents a bit of technical work, but
architecturally it would fit. So maybe a few MDs of work. You could
perhaps even do it yourself (notifyChange is part of a public midPoint API).

Hope this helps,

Pavol Mederly
Software developer
evolveum.com