[midPoint] MidPoint sponsored features - Experience

Martin Lízner - AMI Praha a.s. martin.lizner at ami.cz
Sat Jul 8 10:37:15 CEST 2017

Hi, let me share my actual experience with buying sponsored features from
Evolveum to be implemented into midPoint product.

When starting a new IdM project about 9 months ago we were facing customer
requirements for features that were not found in stock midPoint at that
time. So, we had to decide if take the way of implementing those as our
proprietary customizations and scripting hacks to midPoint or we do it
other way. We choose the other way and got in touch with Evolveum to
discuss those features. It turned out that most of them perfectly fitted
into the product roadmap and its drive towards governance oriented IdM.

When looking back, decision of buying features from Evolveum was smart move
with those benefits:
- Cost saving, buying product improvements is mostly cheaper that spending
weeks of time buried deep in code we don’t really understand.
- Time savings, with externalizing some work to Evolveum we were able to
focus more on the end customer.
- Efficient TCO - all product changes will be part of the future product
versions.
- Good feeling that we helped open-source and provided new features for the
whole community.

The practical side of ordering features from Evolveum was fairly easy.
Skype calls&chats, delivering prototypes, improvements after feedback,
invoice, warranty. The quality and timing of delivery were excellent, most
of the features were even coded with richer nature than originally
requested. You can tell that Evolveum engineers really put in their heart
and enthusiasm! Let me thank them once again!

*TL;DR If you plan feature, that is not part of the stock midPoint,
consider buying it from Evolveum. The process is much simpler than you may
think. It can actually save your money, time and provide better quality
than proprietary changes to the product code.*

Here is some info as well:
https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/I+Need+New+Feature

M.

Martin Lízner
solution architect

gsm: [+420] 737 745 571 <+420%20737%20745%20571>
e-mail: martin.lizner at ami.cz

AMI Praha a.s.
Pláničkova 11
162 00 Praha 6
tel.: [+420] 274 783 239 <+420%20274%20783%20239>
web: www.ami.cz

[image: AMI Praha a.s.] <http://www.skyidentity.com/>

Textem tohoto e-mailu podepisující neslibuje uzavřít ani neuzavírá za
společnost AMI Praha a.s.
jakoukoliv smlouvu. Každá smlouva, pokud bude uzavřena, musí mít výhradně
písemnou formu.