[midPoint] resource account list, 2,147,483,647 accounts?

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Thu Feb 2 10:40:23 CET 2017

Hi,

Root of this problem is in the ConnId framework. It goes back to the
olden days when it was still Sun Identity Connector Framework. At that
time nobody even thought of such an "advanced" operation as counting the
objects. There was not reason for it. The account list was not directly
presented in Sun IDM user interface. And we are still in almost the same
situation today. MidPoint is actually one of very few systems that can
list resource account in a nice paged user interface page.

So, there is no count() operation in ConnId framework. Some time ago I
have extended the ConnId to be able to pass the information about
estimated number of all results during ordinary search operation. It is
kind of a stopgap measure. Not a final solution. And as far as I know it
is only used in the new LDAP-based connectors (LDAP and AD) and it works
only for some servers. Hence the "2,147,483,647 accounts". That's the
number what we assume when we do not know exact number of all entries.
Strictly speaking it should not be "... of 2,147,483,647 accounts" but
"... of unknown number of accounts" - and I'm pretty sure that there is
a jira for this cosmetic fix. But it won't fix the root cause.

Of course, the ConnId framework can be extended. And the connectors can
be improved. As midPoint is (very likely) the only ConnId-based system
that presents live account data in GUI it is also the only system that
needs the object count operation. Other ConnId contributors are not
motivated to do it. So we stand alone. We will gladly improve ConnId (I
would enjoy doing that personally). But we need funding. As usual.