[midPoint] IDE Setup guide for debugging

Pálos Gustáv gustav.palos at evolveum.com
Thu Oct 13 11:11:11 CEST 2016

Hi,

I'm using junit tests for debugging (and also for creating connector), see
for example this:
https://github.com/Evolveum/connector-liferay/blob/master/src/test/java/com/evolveum/polygon/connector/liferay/TestClient.java
So, if you create concrete test, you can run only this test and debug it
"without" midPoint and quickly.
If the connector is doing, what you need to do in this "level", it is a
small probability to have problem with the connector when you put it to
midPoint.

Best regards,

Gustav

> Hi,
>
> What we usually use is a simple remote debugging functionality. Google for
> any guide to setup tomcat for remote debugging and connect that to Eclipse.
> E.g. this one:
> http://blogs.mulesoft.com/dev/tomcat-tcat-server/debugging-y
> our-tomcat-webapp-with-eclipse/
>
> That works with main midPoint code quite well. But I have never tried that
> with a connector. ConnId framework has its own classloaders and that might
> complicate the things. Eclipse might not be able to properly couple
> server-side code with the code in IDE. But it is perhaps worth giving a try.
>
> Personally I'm not a big fan of IDE-based debugging. Yes, it speeds up the
> development. But no code is ever perfect and not testing environment is
> ever comprehensive enough. You are quite likely to hit some connector
> issues after the connector is deployed. Personally I tend to use logging
> instead of debugging from the very beginning of connector development. And
> then I use logs to diagnose connector issues. Not debugging. This slows
> down the development a bit. But it guides you to have good log messages in
> the connector. And having good logging in the deployed connector is an
> excellent way how to save a huge amount of trouble during system
> maintenance.
>
> --
> Radovan Semancik
> Software Architect
> evolveum.com
>

> On 10/12/2016 10:09 AM, Patrick Brunmayr wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I followed the instructions on
>> https://wiki.evolveum.com/display/midPoint/Setting+Up+New+
>> Connector+Project
>>
>> My question is how to setup my IDE ( eclipse ) so that i can live debug
>> the connector.
>>
>> Thx
>>

>> LINZ AG für Energie, Telekommunikation, Verkehr und Kommunale Dienste
>> A-4021 Linz, Wiener Straße 151, Postfach 1300, Tel. +43/732/3400-0,
>> E-Mail: info at linzag.at

Gustáv Pálos
Identity Engineer