[midPoint] User manager

Radovan Semancik radovan.semancik at evolveum.com
Thu Mar 24 13:07:33 CET 2016

On 03/24/2016 12:24 PM, Aivo Kuhlberg wrote:

> Does midPoint supports specifying manager for user? I understand that
> currently it is possible to specify manager only for organization unit
> but we have some org. units where there is more than 1 manager.

MidPoint org units may have any number of managers.

As midPoint has an excellent support for organizational structure we
haven't seen any need for having a 'manager' attribute in each user.
That attribute is mostly a hack used by IDM systems that cannot support
proper organizational structures. Su approach is very problematic, e.g.
there needs to be explicit process to replace the manager that
potentially affect many user records, it is not uncommon to have org
unit that (temporarily) has no manager at all, there may be several
managers applicable for different situations (e.g. a functional manager
and project manager(s)) etc. Those scenarios simply won't work well. So
I strongly recommend to avoid that approach.

But if you insist on using that then you can define 'manager' property
as a custom extension of user schema.