[midPoint] Where to add class for my future builds?

Pavol Mederly mederly at evolveum.com
Fri Jan 22 13:23:18 CET 2016

Hello Jason,

I'm not sure I understand your situation well enough. What I understood is:
1) You have a custom code for generating notifications.
2) You have to include it at many places (once for each specific handler
declaration).
3) You are asking how to eliminate this code duplication.

One possibility would be to create a custom notifier in Java, e.g. by
subclassing SimpleUserNotifier, and overriding getSubject(..) and
getBody(..) methods to include your specific code. The only problem is
how to tell midPoint to use your notifier.

There is a mechanism that selects a notifier based on the type of
configuration element used to describe it. E.g. when you use
SimpleUserNotifierType, the SimpleUserNotifier is selected. See
AggregatedEventHandler (processEvent and processNotifiers methods), and
NotificationManagerImpl.getEventHandler method. This mechanism is based
on self-registration of handlers (see e.g. SimpleUserNotifier.init method).

So, in order to register your own handler, you would need to create a
custom configuration type for it. One possibility is to extend static
schema (typically, common-3.xsd), which is not very clean, as it changes
core midPoint sources. Another is to manually create configuration type
by subclassing GeneralNotifierType class - because you don't need to add
any methods/attributes, you just need it as a marker for the selection
mechanism.

To conclude: you could create your own notifier (e.g. as a
MyCustomNotifier that is a subclass of SimpleUserNotifier and overrides
init/getSubject/getBody), along with its configuration type (e.g.
MyCustomNotifierType that is a subclass SimpleUserNotifierType). Then
you would use it like this:

<handler>
   <generalNotifier xsi:type="*MyCustomNotifierType*">
<transport>mail</transport>
   </generalNotifier>
</handler>

Although I've not tried it, it should work.

Also I've created MID-2772 <https://jira.evolveum.com/browse/MID-2772>
to make creating a custom notifier easier.

Hope this helps,
Pavol