[midPoint] Unsetting User Password RESTfully

Florin. Stingaciu fstingaciu at mirantis.com
Fri Apr 29 00:44:45 CEST 2016

Hello,

I have a particular use case that requires me to unset a user password for
its Midpoint account. I understand I could disable the account or change
its End User role to prevent a user from logging in, but due to the nature
of my use case, I can only achieve this by unsetting the user password.

Another requirement is that I also need to do this using the RESTfull API.
I tried to use the following:

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>                         <objectModification xmlns='
> http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/common/api-types-3'
>                                 xmlns:c='
> http://midpoint.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/common/common-3'
>                                 xmlns:t="
> http://prism.evolveum.com/xml/ns/public/types-3">
>                                         <t:itemDelta>
>
> <t:modificationType>delete</t:modificationType>
>
> <t:path>credentials/password/value</t:path>
>                                         </t:itemDelta>
>                         </objectModification>

with a POST request to

"http://localhost:8080/midpoint/ws/rest/users/{USER_OID}"

And I get a 204 Response, however it appears the user's credentials are
still there.

Another requirement of this is that this password update action must only
be applicable to the Midpoint account and any other accounts that user has
must retain whatever password was initially set.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-F